Prayers at Work


If you understand this chart in its entirety, you are beginning to understand preeclampsia.

We wanted to send out an update to say thank you for praying for us, and thank you for sharing your stories.

Today is the day we had planned to leave for Rwanda.  In our last update, we shared that Krystal’s diagnosis of preeclampsia has delayed our departure until after baby is born in early November. Our prayer was for health for mom and baby, and purpose for this time. God is answering our prayers.

HealthPhoto on 9-22-15 at 7.59 PM

We met with a specialist, a perinatologist, in Seattle on Wednesday. In conjunction with Krystal’s appointment with our doctor in Port Townsend on Monday, here is what we know. It could have been a false positive test, or it could have been caught very early. It could continue to be really mild. The specialist is very optimistic, because there have been no big changes in the past three weeks, that Krystal will make it to term.

We believe that God has kept this from progressing. Please continue to pray for our health. Krystal wants to go full-term and deliver naturally. We’d love for our GP to deliver baby, but she will only do so if she is on call at the hospital at the time. Will you pray for that for us?


A month ago, we thought that God wanted us in Rwanda for the end of the year. Now, we see his hand in keeping us here.

Our field leader in Rwanda, Tim Brubaker, reminded us recently, “When you get here it is going to be less about what you know and more about who you are that makes a difference.” Character is the foundation upon which all knowledge and skill must rest. I wouldn’t say that we are without character, but God is using this time to deepen and broaden who we are to encompass all that he wants to do in us and with us, here and in Rwanda. Krystal, always “doing,” is learning to “be” and rest in God, enjoy Grace, and dig deep with God. I, Nick, will be using some of his time helping his mom downsize in preparation for a move to a smaller home. I will also finish my read through the Bible, and I will explore several spiritual disciplines specifically devoting more time to intercessory prayer. Already, I have felt God moving my heart for several people I know in great need.  God wants us to raise up people to pray for the work in Rwanda, of whom we should be the first.

Alpha_course_logoWe invited a few of our relatives to come to Alpha, out of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Chimacum, WA. Alpha is a “10 week course that explores faith from a fresh perspective.” Our prayer is that this course will open up spiritual conversation throughout the week, too, and that our family will find rest and peace through a personal relationship with Jesus. The first night was good. Pray with us that they come back next week.

Cool Problem

Silas, my translator, and Theogene, a graduate of NCM's PTS

Silas, my translator in 2011, and Theogene, a graduate of NCM’s PTS

It takes just over $600 per year to train a student in the Pastoral Training School (PTS). The students pay $65 per year in fees. We want the students to contribute, but since they are mostly poor rural pastors, we cannot charge them more than this. The PTS has always been greatly sponsored by missionaries involved in the program. As we begin to pass the baton of leadership over to some highly competent and godly Rwandan teachers and administrators, we realize that they will need a new source of support. Would you like to be involved? You can send a pastor through four years of school for $50/month! Click here.


Finally, pray that we get the right flight. You might imagine that flying with a newborn and preschooler will be different than with just a preschooler. Pray that baby is healthy to fly, and that we get the perfect seats together.


Nick and Krystal
Grace and Baby Girl Pirolo #2

Amazing News & Hard News

On Friday morning, we received the glorious news that verbal and unexpected commitments have come through and that we have reached 100% of our financial support. We praise God for raising up this team of financial partners. Rejoice with us in this gracious provision!

Hard News

Later that day, we received a call from Krystal’s doctor telling us that Krystal cannot be cleared to fly before the baby is born.  After having a mild increase in her blood pressure, Krystal’s doctor ordered a few more tests. These tests came back positive indicating a diagnosis of preeclampsia. We discussed the diagnosis with our doctor Monday (8/31) and for a third time Krystal’s blood pressure was higher than normal for her, this time fairly significantly. This type of diagnosis definitely takes Krystal out of the “low-risk” category for pregnancy and will prevent us from flying to Rwanda in September, as planned.

You might imagine how this feels. First, a potentially dangerous diagnosis is never welcome, but praise God that, should this turn dangerous, we have excellent medical care available. Second, we are reeling from this change from full speed ahead on September 23 to slowing that train down, praying for a different kind of miracle, and waiting on God and our baby to show us when can go.

The natural question people will ask is when will you go?  It depends.  Krystal is due in early November.  If mom and baby are healthy, and baby is delivered at term, we might be cleared to go in a week or a month, and have the biggest delay be baby’s passport (Christmas in Kigali?).  If baby is born prematurely, she may have lung issues, and we will be delayed longer.

Our hearts ache to get to Rwanda, but God has delayed us for his good purpose, yet, we wait not knowing what this chapter holds. And we don’t know how long this chapter will be, yet we have confidence that the next chapter holds our departure to Rwanda.

Wanted: Prayers!

Before Friday, we thought the limiting factor was financial partners. Now we see that God is pressing us to rally the prayer warriors to intercede on our behalf.

First, again, to God be the glory for answering our prayers to become fully funded. This is a blessing in itself, and while the timing was ironic, it is a blessing to enter into this time of uncertainty without the added stress of support raising. Again, praise him that we did not arrive in Kigali with this potentially fatal condition!

Now, pray with us that God heals Krystal and that she is able to deliver our baby naturally and at term at our local hospital.


  • Pray for the health of mom and baby.
  • Pray for baby to stay put until at least October 20th (37 weeks)
  • During this time of modified bed-rest for Krystal, pray that we will know how to invest ourselves wisely.

Walk with Us

As our friends and family, as our partners in ministry, you are invited to walk with us.  Please tell us your stories; ask us questions; pass on encouragement.  Our hearts will be made lighter by your company.  And as always, let us know how we can pray for you.

Soli Deo Gloria